Addiction Detox Program in Cincinnati
Safe Alcohol & Drug Detox in Ohio
Addiction is a complex disease that affects the brain. For those struggling with alcohol abuse or drug addiction, quitting is not about willpower. Wanting to get sober is a critical element of recovery, but the vast majority of individuals need professional addiction treatment to achieve long-term sobriety.
Detox is often very intimidating. If you are dealing with an addiction, you have likely experienced some of the effects of withdrawal before and know that detox can be a challenging process. But, with our team of unparalleled addiction specialists by your side, you will have the dedicated, holistic support you need to get through it.
What Is Alcohol & Drug Detox?
Detoxification, or detox, is the process of allowing alcohol or drugs to leave the body. In some cases, this may take a relatively short time, and, in others, it could take several days. However, due to the way alcohol and drugs affect the brain, when they leave the body, they also create powerful withdrawal symptoms.
Professional detox involves safely allowing the substance to leave the body and monitoring and managing withdrawal symptoms. Very often, it is extremely important that individuals undergo professional detox rather than attempt to stop using alcohol or drugs completely on their own. Going “cold turkey” can actually be dangerous, and may lead to life-threatening withdrawal symptoms, such as seizures, delusions, and severe dehydration.
Cedar Oaks Wellness Center offers professional detox services for a variety of addictions, including:
How Do Detox Programs Work?
There are several different types of professional detoxification, but most have a few common elements. Professional detox programs typically involve allowing substances to slowly and gradually exit the body while simultaneously monitoring withdrawal symptoms and managing their effects. With professional medical detox, you receive medications to assist the detoxification process and provide relief, rather than having to face excruciating symptoms on your own.
At Cedar Oaks Wellness Center, we believe that recovery is as individual as the clients we serve. Because of this, our detox program will look different from person to person.
Our Cincinnati detox program typically entails:
- Initial Client Evaluation: The first step in the recovery process is a detailed evaluation with our team. During this evaluation, we will ask about the type of substance (alcohol and/or specific drugs) you have taken, whether you are experiencing any withdrawal symptoms, how long it has been since you have ingested the substance(s), and other questions. This allows us to identify your specific needs and begin creating a detox plan tailored to your situation.
- Stabilization: After we have created a detox plan for you, the next step is ensuring stabilization throughout the detoxification process. Our goal is to help you remain as comfortable and safe as possible. To that end, we will continuously monitor your vital signs and ensure that you are physically stable as the substance leaves your body.
- Continued Treatment: Detoxification is the first step in your recovery. Following our detox program, we may recommend that you receive inpatient services, ongoing support, and more. We tailor all of our addiction treatment programs to each individual and will work directly with you throughout the recovery process to continuously modify your treatment plan to set you up for long-term success.
What to Expect
There is simply no other way to put it: withdrawal is not fun. However, our detox program is created with your comfort in mind. While you may experience unpleasant withdrawal symptoms during this process, you will have access to medication that can provide relief, as well as a support team committed to helping you get through this.
Withdrawal symptoms range significantly depending on a variety of factors, including but not limited to:
- The type of substance use disorder (alcohol abuse, heroin addiction, prescription drug misuse, etc.)
- The method of ingestion (snorting, injecting, smoking, swallowing, etc.)
- The typical amount of the substance that is ingested each time
- The length of the addiction, level of tolerance, and individual dependency
- The overall severity of the addiction
- The presence of any underlying behavioral/mental health disorders and/or trauma
- Medical, genetic, and family history
Our team can help you understand exactly what you can expect from the detox process based on the unique factors involved in your situation. We understand that this can be a frightening and intimidating process, but our professional addiction specialists are here to guide you every step of the way.
Dangers of Detoxing at Home
Many people feel that they can wean themselves off of an addictive substance on their own through at-home means. While this may sound like an appealing option on the surface, in-home detox without medical supervision carries significant risks. Depending on the intensity and length of a person's addiction, withdrawal symptoms can be extremely powerful and drive a person to immediately relapse to achieve temporary relief, ending their sobriety journey before it can even begin. People who try to detox at home are also at a higher risk of overdose as they often resort to taking a higher dose of a drug than their body is used to, leading to potentially fatal reactions.
Meeting You Where You Are
At Cedar Oaks Wellness Center, we truly believe that your recovery is your own. There is no one-size-fits-all solution when it comes to beating addiction and missteps along the way do not mean that you have failed. Wherever you are, our team is ready to meet you there.
With an emphasis on a holistic, individualized approach, our team is committed to your complete wellness. Through personalized treatments and continuous support, you will receive the tools you need and develop critical skills to navigate your addiction, foster meaningful relationships, and live a happy and full life.